One of the earliest signs of aging often manifests around our eyes, with drooping eyelids and under-eye bags contributing to a tired or aged appearance. An eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, at Privé Plastic Surgery in Boca Raton, seeks to refresh and rejuvenate the eye region, helping individuals reclaim their youthful vibrancy.
The delicate skin surrounding our eyes is one of the first places to start showing the signs of aging. They may become puffy, droop, sag, or crepe-like and crinkly. Genetics can also be responsible for the fading and drooping around the eye. Privé Plastic Surgery is here to help our clients take steps to address the aesthetic concerns that occur as part of aging. An eyelid lift is a service we offer to correct the signs of aging around the eyes.
Many individuals considering an eyelid lift often observe:
- Sagging or loose skin on the upper eyelids, sometimes impairing vision.
- Puffiness or bags beneath the eyes.
- Deep grooves under the eyes.
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles on the lower eyelid.
- An overall tired or aged look despite adequate rest.
Why Our Clients Seek Eyelid Lift Surgery
While eyelid surgery is generally known as blepharoplasty, there are two distinct varieties. These are separated into the upper and lower blepharoplasty. Upper eyelid blepharoplasty, in particular, can be used as a medical procedure to address drooping upper eyelids. In severe cases, this can interfere with the ability of the patient to see clearly. In these instances, it may be covered by the client’s insurance as a medically necessary procedure.
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty removes skin, sometimes fat and tissue from the upper eyelid area that may be problematic. It can improve vision by eliminating obstructions from the drooping upper eyelid. Cosmetically it addresses the sleepy or bored look hooded eyebrows can give, restoring an alert and awake appearance.
- Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty is common for addressing drooping lower eyelids and chronic puffiness. It eliminates baggy eyes and wrinkles caused by the loss of elasticity and fat within the eyelid. Dr. Wu can also eliminate fine lines and wrinkles with this procedure.
Dr. Liza Wu may advise that addressing your concerns will require the use of either or both treatments. You’ll discuss this and other factors as part of your consultation.
Why An Eyelid Lift May Be Needed
The skin around the eyes is delicate and tends to show the first signs of aging, sun damage, or even genetic factors. An eyelid lift aims to:
- Improve vision affected by sagging upper eyelids.
- Rejuvenate the appearance, making one look refreshed and alert.
- Boost confidence and self-esteem.
- Reduce the appearance of under-eye bags and droopiness.
Who Makes A Good Candidate For Blepharoplasty
It is optimal for those seeking an eyelid lift to be healthy and free of major vision problems. Most who approach Privé Plastic Surgery for this procedure are middle-aged, though clients as young as 35 are not uncommon. Good candidates generally have the following traits:
- Drooping or sagging in the eyelids
- Lipid deposits that cause puffiness in the upper eyelid
- Droopiness or bags in the lower eyelid
- Are in generally good health
- Has expectations that are realistic for the outcome
Additionally, those who see the best outcomes are non-smokers who do not drink or do so only in moderation. Smoking and excessive drinking both present complications and work against the client in pursuing their desired outcome.
Potential Risks When Receiving An Eyelid Lift
While blepharoplasty is a well-known procedure that is largely safe, complications are possible, including:
- Common risks of anesthesia
- Bleeding incision lines
- Numbness of alterations of sensation in the eyelashes
- Difficulty when closing the eyes
- Ocular dryness
- The lower eyelid rolling outward, known as ectropion
- A drawing down of the bottom eyelid, known as lid lag
- Temporary or persistent pain
- Potential requirement for revision surgery
- Bruising or swelling
- Alterations in vision that may be persistent
- Undesired scarring
Receiving Blepharoplasty At Privé Plastic Surgery
As a routine outpatient procedure, blepharoplasty can be done and have you home the same day. A basic blepharoplasty procedure includes the following:
- Anesthesia – You will receive intravenous sedation or general anesthesia as a surgical procedure.
- Upper Eyelids – Dr. Wu will begin with the upper eyelid if that is part of your treatment. It begins with an incision in the upper eyelids’ fold. This incision will be used to remove skin, fat, and muscle necessary to achieve the goal.
- Ptosis Surgery – When the upper eyebrow is drooping and obscuring vision, this procedure can provide the support necessary to reverse it. This is used to avoid blocked vision.
- Lower Eyelids – An incision will be made into the crease below the eyelashes. Dr. Wu will make the necessary adjustments here, as with the upper eyelid.
An eyelid lift delivers rejuvenating effects, breathing new life into your eyes and overall countenance. However, to maintain and extend these favorable outcomes, it’s essential to adopt certain preventative measures. Incorporating a diligent skincare routine that includes moisturizing and cleansing can help sustain the skin’s elasticity and vibrancy. Moreover, ultraviolet rays are a known antagonist to youthful skin. Thus, regular use of sun protection, be it in the form of sunglasses, hats, or sunscreen, is a cornerstone in preserving the results of the surgery.
In addition to these external care methods, internal health plays a pivotal role. A balanced diet rich in vitamins and antioxidants, coupled with adequate hydration, can promote skin health from within. It’s also advisable to reduce habits like smoking, which can prematurely age the skin. And, of course, regular visits to our doctor at Privé Plastic Surgery can be beneficial, offering an opportunity to assess the longevity of the lift, get personalized advice, and address any early signs of aging or concerns.
An eyelid lift promises a reinvigorated appearance, letting your eyes truly reflect your inner vitality. The results, while not immune to the natural aging process, are long-lasting. With proper care and minor lifestyle changes, you can enjoy your refreshed look for years, feeling confident and empowered in both personal and professional settings.
Once an eyelid has been completed, Dr. Wu will stitch it closed using sutures. Following the procedure, you’ll be kept for observation for a short period. Blurred vision, double vision, watering eyes, and discomfort from swelling are common post-surgical symptoms. Dr. Wu will guide you on how to care for your eyes during recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does recovery from an eyelid lift usually take?
While individual experiences may vary, most patients find that swelling and bruising subside within 10-14 days. It’s essential to follow the post-operative care instructions provided by our doctor to ensure a smooth recovery.
Will I have visible scars after the eyelid lift?
Our doctors prioritize discretion in incision placement. In most cases, incisions are made within natural eyelid creases or inside the eyelid, ensuring minimal and often nearly invisible scarring once fully healed.
Is the eyelid lift procedure painful?
An eyelid lift is performed under anesthesia, ensuring comfort during the procedure. Some patients may experience minor discomfort, swelling, or tightness in the days following the surgery, but this is typically manageable with prescribed pain medications and subsides within a few days.
Begin Your Transformation
Don’t let droopy eyelids overshadow the sparkle in your eyes. At Privé Plastic Surgery, we’re committed to helping you radiate confidence and youthfulness. Whether you’re considering an eyelid lift or simply exploring your options, dial (516) 717-3181. Your pathway to rejuvenation, guided by experts, is just a call away!