In this blog from Prive Plastics, we answer all your questions about breast augmentation.
A Brief History Of Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation has a fascinating history that spans several decades. As recently as the late 19th to mid-20th century, surgeons attempted various methods to enhance breast size.
In the 1960s, the introduction of silicone gel breast implants revolutionized breast augmentation. Plastic surgeons Thomas Cronin and Frank Gerow developed the first silicone breast implant in 1961. These implants consisted of silicone shells filled with silicone gel. Silicone implants quickly gained popularity due to their natural feel and appearance.
In the 1990s, saline implants became the primary option for breast augmentation. Saline implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution, and in case of rupture, the saline is harmlessly absorbed by the body.
After extensive research and safety evaluations, the FDA approved silicone gel breast implants for general use in 2006. This decision was based on the understanding that modern silicone implants are safe and effective, with a low risk of complications. However, the FDA recommends regular monitoring and follow-up evaluations for individuals with silicone implants.
Over the years, advancements in surgical techniques, implant designs, and technology have improved the outcomes of breast augmentation procedures. These include refined incision techniques, better implant materials, textured surface options, and advancements in surgical tools, all contributing to enhanced results and reduced complications.
Breast Augmentation And Individualized Results
Modern breast augmentation practices prioritize individualized results that complement a person’s unique body type, preferences, and aesthetic goals. Surgeons consider factors such as implant size, shape, profile, placement, and incision location to create personalized treatment plans that achieve natural-looking and proportionate results.
Breast enhancement requires a skilled surgeon with the eye of an artist. Each breast is unique, making it essential to take in the patient’s physical contours and help them establish the desired results. Doing this will make it possible to tailor a treatment plan to your needs that will guide our surgeon’s hand during the procedure. Breast augmentation isn’t just about vanity. It can restore a sense of youth and vitality in women whose breasts have lost their fullness after pregnancy, weight loss, or aging.
Dr. Wu has vast experience and provides the most up-to-date advances in breast augmentation and revisions to previous breast augmentations. She is dedicated to giving you the best outcome for your desires.
What Concerns Can Breast Augmentation With Prive Plastics Address?
- Breast Asymmetry: While it’s normal to have one breast larger than the other, it can be distinctly noticeable in some women. Those with asymmetrical breasts can achieve a more balanced appearance through breast augmentation. Some potential causes for asymmetry include Poland’s syndrome, congenital breast asymmetries, imbalanced development during puberty, and prior surgical interventions.
- Small Breasts: Those who have naturally smaller breasts can choose to enhance them with breast augmentation. Women who feel their natural breasts are out of proportion to their body shape or size may choose augmentation to help address this concern.
- Sagging Breasts: Pregnancy and weight loss can contribute to breasts losing their natural fullness. This can lead to loose skin, a loss of volume, and breasts that look flat or flabby. Breast augmentation can restore a sense of youth and beauty in women who are unsatisfied with the condition of their breasts.
- Self-Confidence: Breasts are an undeniable symbol of femininity. Some women who naturally developed smaller breasts may feel that it impacts their feeling of womanhood. Breast augmentation can help improve their sense of confidence and self-image.
What To Expect From Breast Augmentation Surgery
While every augmentation procedure will vary to meet the patient’s needs, some standard stages are involved. When you reach the clinic for your consultation, Dr. Wu will discuss with you the available options for augmentation, different types of implants, the various incisions, position of the implants, and risks and benefits. Dr. Wu will go over the procedure and what to expect before, during, and after the procedure.
Depending on the type of breast augmentation you and Dr. Wu decide upon will determine the steps needed to achieve the look you desire. The procedure will involve the following steps:
- Anesthesia – Anesthesia is part of undergoing a breast lift. However, patients may opt for either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- Incision – An incision that will be pre-determined at your consultation will be made to allow the dissection of the tissue into the predetermined plane for the introduction of fat or an implant.
- Enhancement – Following the incision, either fat and/or implant will be placed for enhancement. Sometimes, the nipple and areolar complex may also be repositioned and resized.
- Closing the Incision – Once the lift is completed, the incision will be sealed using sutures. Whenever possible, the incisions will be placed in a way that leaves them hidden by the natural contour of the breast when they heal.
Am I A Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
Great candidates should be in good health and free of serious illnesses. Success rates improve if you are a non-smoker who doesn’t drink or does so in moderation. Candidates respond best when in good mental health, as augmentation cannot correct concerns with body image or drastically alter your appearance. Finally, those electing to undergo this procedure must have a reliable support system permitting them to rest and recover following the treatment.
Prive Plastic Is The Choice For All Your Aesthetic Needs
If you are based in Boca Raton or the surrounding Florida neighborhoods and wonder if you are a good candidate for a brow lift, eyelid lift, neck lift or any of our other aesthetic treatments and procedures, start with a TeleHealth consultation. Dr. Wu offers brow lifts, face and neck aesthetic surgeries, and aesthetic and reconstructive surgeries for the breast and body. For customized treatment plans for your face and body, call Prive Plastic Surgery today at 561-717-3181.